Online Registration for the 2018 Tour opens January 1, 2018, or thereabouts. Check back the beginning of 2018.
The 31th Tour de Madison
May 19, 2018
The 30th annual Tour de Madison bicycling event will take place on May 20th, 2017, rain or shine, starting and finishing once again at Graves Mountain Lodge in Syria, Virginia. Riders and their families will have the opportunity to enjoy the complete Graves Mountain Lodge experience.
As in the past, we will offer three ride options. NOTE: Rest Stop and SAG support will end at 2:00PM. The Metric Century—A 65 mile ride that takes cyclists all the way to the extreme southeast corner of Madison County at Uno. Rest stops will be provided at Brightwood Ruritan Club (at 19 miles), Good Hope Baptist Church (at 33 or 43 miles), and Hoover Ridge near the town of Madison (at 51 miles). Those choosing the metric century will leave at 8:30 a. m. The Intermediate (45 Mile) Route—This is a beautiful and challenging 45 mile route whose first half and final fifteen miles shares the metric century route. It will feature rest stops at Brightwood Ruritan Club (at 19 miles) and Hoover Ridge near the town of Madison (at 31 miles). There are no short cut options this year incorporated into the route plan. Those choosing the intermediate route will leave at 8:45am. The Family Ride—Ride as long as you want on the flat or gently rising roads around Syria. A planned route featuring several out and backs totals 20 miles. These riders will leave at 9:00 am.
Bonus Loop – This year we have added an additional loop specifically for those cyclists who are craving a little more mileage and more climbing. The loop goes from Criglersville to Etlan by way of Poorhouse Road and FT Valley Road, then back to Syria on Etlan Road. It adds 8 miles to the route and includes an additional 800 ft. of climbing, including a Cat 4 climb of 3.9 miles at an average of 2.5% grade.
Registration and Fees.
Early Registration online only through May 4. Pre-Registration opens January 1!! Early registrants are guaranteed a Tour de Madison tech t-shirt. The fee for Metric Century and Intermediate riders who register before May4 is $40; after May 4 – $55. For Family riders the fee is only $20 before May 4, after May 4 – $35. There is no longer mail-in pre-registration. On Site Registration: from 7:00 to 9:00am Those who do not register early may register in person at the picnic pavilion at Graves Mountain Lodge between 7:00 and 9:00 am. On-site registrants may not receive a t-shirt. On site registration is $55 for Metric Century and Intermediate Riders and $35 for Family Riders. NOTE: Cash or check only. No credit card payments on site.
Graves Mountain Lodge will have a la carte breakfast items available for sale during registration. No refunds will be given. Ride will be held rain or shine.
What we support:
Your registration fees pay for all expenses related to supporting the ride and the post-ride party. Last year we were able to donate over $4500 to help local organizations. Our “profits” support the following:
- Madison County Parks and Recreation’s Hoover Ridge Project. We donate proceeds toward the development of the Tour de Madison Pavilion at Hoover Ridge.
- Madison County Parks and Rec Youth Sports Teams. Last year, the Youth Hockey League staffed an outstanding luau-themed rest stop at Brightwood General Store. What will they think of this time??
- Rochelle Ruritan Club: We have pledged to support the club’s college scholarship and J. L. Taylor funds. The College Scholarship program helps worthy graduates of Madison County High School pay for a college degree and the J. L. Taylor Fund provides funds to children of Madison County who could not otherwise afford book bags, school supplies, fees to play sports or necessary equipment.
- Madison Women’s 4-Miler Training program. The program helps to prepare local women who want to participate in the Charlottesville Women’s 4-miler, or who simply want to improve their health and fitness through walking or running. All funds collected by the training program are donated to the UVA Cancer Center’s Breast Care program to help women in our area who are facing breast cancer diagnoses.
- Culpeper Amateur Radio Association (CARA) owns and its members maintain radio equipment used for emergency communications in the Piedmont area. Emergency communication services are those needed before, during and after a disaster, which supplement the normal communication services provided by the federal, state, county and city or town governments. Through emergency communication services, the CARA members assist in preventing a “serious situation” from becoming a “devastating crisis.”
- Mt. Zion UMC Missions In recent years the church has sent a team of youth and adults to inner city Memphis, TN to work on homes in need of basic repair.
All Riders Must:
a) Start at the designated times or no later than 9:00 am. b) Wear a helmet and wrist band. c) Bring a well-equipped bicycle in good working condition, adequate clothing, water bottles, spare tubes, a pump, and extra cash. d) Observe safe and legal cycling practices staying always to the right and not riding abreast in the presence of vehicular traffic. Post Ride Party: Graves Mountain Lodge will host our post-ride party at no cost to Tour de Madison registered participants. Your family and friends may join you for $15 per person. Live music will be provided from noon to 3 p.m. The meal will consist of traditional picnic fare, with a vegetarian option available. Bring along some extra cash to enjoy the local Madison County wines that will be available from Early Mountain, Prince Michele and DuCard Vineyards. Regional micro-brews will also be available for the beer lovers in the crowd. The cash bar will be open until 3 p.m. Graves Mountain Lodge will have rooms and campsites available for registered cyclists so plan to come and make a weekend of it! For more lodging information, call 540-923-4231 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to wear your Tour de Madison jersey! Graves Mountain Lodge will have rooms available to Tour de Madison registrants. Call 540 923-4231 or email email@example.com for pricing and to make a reservation.